Re: changing variables in differential equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100647] Re: changing variables in differential equations
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 05:34:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Andre,

having clearified that v= V[u] is to be considered the new dependent

variable there is still the question if the dependent variable remains

essentially the same or not:

x=X[u,v[u]]

y=Y[u,v[u]]= V[u] = v

Anyway, we can define the i-derivative of y with respect to x by y[i]

(note: lower case= variables, upper case= functions):

==========================

Clear[x,X,y,Y];

x[0] = X[u, v[u]];

y[0] = Y[u, v[u]];

y[i_] := Dt[y[i - 1]]/Dt[x[0]]

here is a simple example where the transformation only depends on u:

X[u_, v_] := u^2;

Y[u_, v_] := X[u, v] + X[u, v]^2

y[1]//Simplify

Daniel