Re: ListDensityPlot how to define colors for specific range of values

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100660] Re: ListDensityPlot how to define colors for specific range of values
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:10:37 -0400 (EDT)

Dear prageeth,

All you have to do is to define a function that returns a color given
the z-value as argument (or a value between 0 and 1, depending on the
setting of the option ColorFunctionScaling)

For example (with the default ColorFunctionScaling->True):

Continuous blend:

DensityPlot[Sin[x y], {x, -3, 3}, {y, -3, 3},
 ColorFunction -> (Blend[{Red, White, Blue}, #] &), PlotPoints -> 100]

Dicrete colours:

DensityPlot[Sin[x y], {x, -3, 3}, {y, -3, 3},
 ColorFunction -> (\[Piecewise] {
      {White, # < 0.1},
      {Red, 0.1 <= # <= 0.5},
      {Blue, 0.5 < # < 0.8},