Re: polynomial of 7th order, some structure

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100751] Re: polynomial of 7th order, some structure
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 06:01:14 -0400 (EDT)

hi, I have an equation i have been trying to solve, but no amount of
Solve, Reduce or ToRadical seems to produce an answer.

x(1+x^2)^3 == a x^4 +b x^3 +...+e

I know that it has one or three real roots, depending on combinations
of coefficients, with only one root at x>0.  That is the one that I
want, the root that is > 0.
Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?

I can plot the Root[] results, and I can see that it is usually the
same one root from the list, for most coefficient combinations.

Any way i can get the formula without plugging in the values?

Hi, Tolia,

your question is not about Mathematica, but about mathematics. My excuses to moderator.
Are n't you aware of the Galois theorem stating
that algebraic equation of a general form only then have solution in radicals (that is what you are looking for)
when its power is below or equal to 5? You have equation of the power 7 with 5 arbitrary constants,
do you hope that it may belong to exceptions of this theorem? Then you should have good reasons for that, and these
reasons should most probably go beyond the form of the equation itself. For example, they may be in the physical
(chemical, etc.) nature of the phenomenon that gave rise to this equation. I met such situations.

If I am right and no such reasons exist, the only thing you can reasonably look for in this case may be conditions
imposed on the coefficients a, b ... at which such a (positive) root appears and disappears. You may also look
for an approximate solution for x>0 in the close vicinity of such a bifurcation point. But this again more the
mathematical question, of how to look for such a bifurcation point. If it is formulated correctly, simple
Mathematica tools will be applicable.

Good lack, Alexei

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern
Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

Website: www.iee.lu

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.