Re: Mathematica and some General Comments

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg97168] Re: Mathematica and some General Comments
  • From: Peltio <peltio at>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 02:37:31 -0500 (EST)

David Park wrote:

> There were hundreds
> of responses with some threads going to great depth. As far as I could find,
> there was not a single mention of Mathematica and only one reference to
> using a CAS. Everything else concerned the merits of C++, Perl, List,
> Fortran etc. To  me, this again was incredible.

It seems to me that the alternatives listed are all Open and Free.
Mathematica has very favorable student licences, but what happen when
the student leave school/uni? The price, albeit justifiable, is very
high for a yet-to-be-employed graduate. It may be better to learn basic
tools one can afford later on. IMHO.