Re: Starting Mathematica without GUI

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97301] Re: Starting Mathematica without GUI
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 05:36:31 -0500 (EST)

Jochen Adamek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i would like to know, if it is possible to start Mathematica without
> GUI, only by using command line interface?
>
> We need to optimise the time of compilation.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards
>
> J.A.

The Math command will start Mathematica in a command box (in appearance
rather like running under the old DOS). However, unless you are very
short of memory, you will not gain any appreciable performance (I am not
quite sure what you mean by 'compilation' - are you referring to the
Compile command?). This is because the GUI frontend starts the kernel as
a separate process, and it is the latter that does the calculations, and
which you start directly by executing Math.

The usual reason to want to avoid the GUI is because you want to perform
tasks as a batch, or because your program supplies an alternative GUI
(e.g. Java) and uses Mathematica invisibly. In this latter case, it is
often cleaner to start the kernel via MathLink.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk