Re: Using Mathematica notebooks in presentations?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97645] Re: Using Mathematica notebooks in presentations?
  • From: Yves Klett <yves.klett at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 05:03:52 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I recently tried the following with some success (Win XP and Mathematica
V7.0):

In Powerpoint or OpenOffice Impress, I put simple hyperlinks* to
notebooks containing interactive content (Manipulate and such):

a) If the linked notebook is not open yet, the link starts up
Mathematica and loads the notebook. Then you have to excecute the cells
in some fashion by hand or initialisation or whatever

b) If the notebook is already opened, the window focus switches over to
the notebook. That way you can execute all relevant code beforehand and
arrange the window content etc. to your liking.

In both cases, you can e.g. Alt-Tab back to your presentation.

Of course, with multiple open notebooks you have to take care shared
symbols - but that is nothing new anyway.

Apart from the fact that truly dynamic content can be quite dizzying for
people heavily accustomed to Powerpoint and such, I really like this way
of getting Mathematica on screen. In fact it is much more convenient and
infinitely more flexible than generating content in Mathematica,
converting and exporting it to a movie and reimporting that into PPT.

Of course, if Mathematica would offer some more nifty presentation
functionality (dealing quickly with lots of fullscreen images etc.), I=C2=
=B4d
gladly do everything there...

Regards,
Yves

*e.g. Powerpoint: select an object on a slide, right mouseclick,
"Hyperlink" and choose a notebook file.