Problem with strings and backslashes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99735] Problem with strings and backslashes
  • From: LordBeotian <pokipsy76 at yahoo.it>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 03:11:34 -0400 (EDT)

I'm trying to work with strings wich are LaTeX codes of formulas. I
want to make substitution of particular substrings. The problem is
that Mathematica (5.1) has a strange behaviour with the backslashes.
When it finds "\tau" it removes the "\t" in the output. The same
happen with "\right" which becomes "ight". To make it work properly I
need to manually add on the input an additional backslash  at the
beginning of "\tau" and "\right": "\\tau" becames "\tau". But in this
way my work go on too slowly. What can I do?