Re: How do I get Mathematica to Simplify this to 1?

Thank you all for the replies.

The central point seems to be that Norm ignores the previously stated
Assumptions, and Simplify has to re-introduce them.  Strange.

Peter, thank you for the starter palette, which I'll extend.  It'll
come in especially handy to decipher David's and DrMajorBob's
comments :)

- Dushan