remote kernel trouble

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104637] remote kernel trouble
  • From: Ian <carroll.ian at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 03:52:05 -0500 (EST)

I'm unable to start a remote kernel, and have not found a solution to
my problem the archives. I'm running Mathematica 7.0 on Windows Vista,
trying to start a remote kernel on a Linux server also running 7.0.

I'm relying on WolframSSH.jar to make the connection, so I haven't
fiddled with the advanced settings under kernel configuration
options.  (Well, I've tried without success to use putty to make the
connection). When I evaluate the first command in a notebook using the
remote kernel, I get the authentication key question and then enter a
password, and then nothing happens. The notebook claims to be running
but never evaluates, there's no error message, and Mathematica locks
up.

I can see that a MathKernel does start on the remote machine, so the
login at least is successful. And force closing Mathematica locally
kills the remote kernel.

The only clue I can discover is that Mathematica wants to put the RSA
key in the wrong place. My username on both machines is
"carroll" (which I can confirm Mathematica knows with $UserName), but
it creates the known_hosts file in "C:\Users\Ian\.ssh\" which wouldn't
otherwise exist. I also don't see any key created on the remote
machine. Could this cause the problem? What else should I try doing?

Thanks
-Ian
(* apologies if this is a double post, the first vanished *)