Re: remote kernel trouble

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104655] Re: remote kernel trouble
  • From: Ian <carroll.ian at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 05:15:01 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to help from bj...@mit, but I'm still not there. I'm now
getting a msg "The kernel cruncher failed to connect to the front end.
(Error = MLECONNECT). You should try running the kernel connection
outside the front end." I tried, but what sort of behavior is good or
bad?

My configuration on a Windows Vista machine running Mathematica 7.0 is

Arguments to MLOpen:
-LinkMode Listen -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkOptions MLDontInteract

Shell command to launch kernel:
plink -i keyfile carroll@cruncher -x math -mathlink -linkmode Connect -
linkprotocol TCPIP -linkname "`linkname`" -linkhost `ipaddress`

When I run exactly this from cmd line in Vista, I get
> bash: linkname: command not found
> bash: ipaddress: command not found

> LinkOpen::linke: --Message text not found -- (MathLink linkname missing or malformed.)

When from the cmd line in Vista I run
plink -i keyfile carroll@cruncher -x math -mathlink -linkmode Connect -
linkprotocol TCPIP -linkname 5301 at local.machine

there's no message, and I have to ctrl-C to get back to the cmd
prompt. a MathKernel does start on cruncher. should something else
happen?

thanks for any help!
-Ian