Re: Re: remote kernel trouble

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104715] Re: [mg104655] Re: remote kernel trouble
  • From: Zach Bjornson <bjornson at mit.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:51:21 -0500 (EST)

Hi Ian,

It sounds like you're doing more than is necessary, but I might be
misunderstanding your e-mail. My replies are interspersed below.

On 11/6/2009 5:15 AM, Ian wrote:
> Thanks to help from bj...@mit, but I'm still not there. I'm now
> getting a msg "The kernel cruncher failed to connect to the front end.
> (Error = MLECONNECT). You should try running the kernel connection
> outside the front end." I tried, but what sort of behavior is good or
> bad?
>
> My configuration on a Windows Vista machine running Mathematica 7.0 is
>
> Arguments to MLOpen:
> -LinkMode Listen -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkOptions MLDontInteract

Try using the *exact* ML string that I sent in my instructions. The
linkmode needs to be connect; you need to specify a host name, ML needs
to interact, etc. This looks more like a slave string, but I don't know
where you got it.
> Shell command to launch kernel:
> plink -i keyfile carroll@cruncher -x math -mathlink -linkmode Connect -
> linkprotocol TCPIP -linkname "`linkname`" -linkhost `ipaddress`
>
> When I run exactly this from cmd line in Vista, I get
>
>> bash: linkname: command not found
>> bash: ipaddress: command not found

You shouldn't be running anything from the Windows shell except for
diagnostics. Mmeca launches the remote kernel on its own. The syntax you
wrote is specific to Mmeca as well (the `linkname` part, at least)

>> LinkOpen::linke: --Message text not found -- (MathLink linkname missing or malformed.)
>>
> When from the cmd line in Vista I run
> plink -i keyfile carroll@cruncher -x math -mathlink -linkmode Connect -
> linkprotocol TCPIP -linkname 5301 at local.machine
>
> there's no message, and I have to ctrl-C to get back to the cmd
> prompt. a MathKernel does start on cruncher. should something else
> happen?

If your connection is successful from a command line (e.g. if you "ssh
yourserver math" you should get a Mathematica command line interface ">"
and be able to e.g. type 1+1 and get 2).
> thanks for any help!
> -Ian

Try following my instructions exactly; I think that will clear up your
problem. You don't need to do anything outside of Mmeca to use the
remote kernel after you set it up.
Cheers,
Zach