Re: Mathematica skill level snippet(s)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104978] Re: Mathematica skill level snippet(s)
  • From: fd <fdimer at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:48:00 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 14, 5:56 pm, "M.Roellig" <markus.roel... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I did start to write a solution to do this, but there's a bit of HoldPattern
> > magic and such that needs to be done and I was too busy to spend time getting it
> > to work (I did have something kind of working, actually, but then accidentally
> > quit my session w/o saving, and gave up because of the ten million other things
> > on my to-do list).
>
> If there only was an autosave feature ;-)
>
> (Sorry, but I could not resist)
>
> Markus
>
> P.S. BTW I agree to those that find the documentation helpful. It
> takes some time
> to dig into it, but one finds surprising stuff. Of course it can
> always be better but
> compared to other software docs it's quite ok. However, it is not
> always easy to
> find the information that one may need at the moment.

I think I got late for the discussion (as usual)...

There is an Auto Save feature in Mathematica, but I had to turn it off
because it was slowing down things and work with dynamic evaluation
was almost impossible...

Most of the complains about documentation, from my part, are when it
is too brief and does not contain many examples. In the ColorFunction
case I mention above, for example, the documentation gives you how to
retrieve all available options, but it is concealed - personally I
would show emphasize this a lot more, but the Mathematica developers
surely have a different set of personal preferences, so I do not
complain about it.