Re: Define a function as a graphics directive?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105079] Re: Define a function as a graphics directive?
  • From: fd <fdimer at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 06:38:53 -0500 (EST)

Hi.. I was quite curious with your query..WRI should really introduce
a ContourColorFunction...

If you can express your equations in a ParametricPlot you can do what
you want.

Another way is to use StreamPlot, you'll have to define the vector
field of your function

f[z_, x_] = z Exp[-Sqrt[z^2 + x^2]/2.]

Then the vector field along which f[z,x] is constant

v[x_, y_] = {D[f[x, y], y], -D[f[x, y], x]}

and the stream plot with lines

StreamPlot[v[x, y], {x, -10, 10}, {y, -10, 10},
 StreamColorFunction -> Function[{x, y, vx, vy, nxy}, Hue[f[x, y]]],
 StreamStyle -> "Line"]

Many thanks for reminding me my undergrad calculus...

Best