Re: Help with algorithm to find rational roots of a bivariate equation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105121] Re: [mg105080] Help with algorithm to find rational roots of a bivariate equation?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 03:36:26 -0500 (EST)

Efficient? I think the only general algorithm for finding rational
points is that due to Poincare, who showed hoe to find all rational
points on a curve of genus 1. Since the genus is (n-1)(n-2)/2 - d, where
n is the degree and d the number of double points, your curve must have
2 double points. In fact, if I remember correctly, even the Poincare
method is not really an algorithm but a collection of special techniques
(but I may be wrong).
Anyway, I am sure that not only there is no such Mathematica program but
that there is no known algorithm for solving this type of problem at
all.

Andrzej Kozlowski