Re: Clustering algorithm Mathematica 7

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg105105] Re: [mg105081] Clustering algorithm Mathematica 7
  • From: Darren Glosemeyer <darreng at>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 03:33:24 -0500 (EST)

Jan Baetens wrote:
> Hi all,
> Currently, I'm using the built-in clustering algorithm of Mathematica 7,
> though it isn't clear for me which algorithm it actually is since this
> is not mentioned in the extended help pages. Presumably, it's the normal
> K-means clustering but I'm not sure.
> As such, I'd like know whether someone knows which implementation is
> used in Mathematica 7 for data clustering.
> Thanks,
> Jan

The default is k-medoids. Agglomerative clustering is also included as a
method option. Brief discussion of the methods is included in the
documentation. This can be found by entering

in the Documentation Center or online at

Here are some references about the methods that you might also find useful:

L. Kaufman and P. J. Rousseeuw, Finding Groups in Data: An Introduction
to Cluster Analysis, New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1990.

P. J. Rousseeuw, ?Silhouettes: A Graphical Aid to the Interpretation and
Validation of Cluster Analysis,? J Comput. Appl. Math., 20, 1987, 53?65.

R. Tibshirani, G. Walther, and T. Hastie, ?Estimating the Number of
Clusters in a Dataset Via the Gap Statistic.? Stanford Univ. Tech.
report. March 2000. (published Journal of the Royal Statistical Society,
B, 63, 2001, 411?423.)

Darren Glosemeyer
Wolfram Research