piecewice pdf, problems with cdf

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105365] piecewice pdf, problems with cdf
  • From: michael partensky <partensky at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 05:12:35 -0500 (EST)

Hi! Teaching the continuous distributions, I needed to introduce the
piecewise functions.
Here is the example that did not work well:

In[56]:= f1[x_] /; 0 < x <= 3 := 1/9  x ^2;
f1[x_] := 0;

Plot[f1[x],{x,-1,4}] works fine. However, the results for cdf are ambiguous
In[57]:= cdf[x_] := Integrate[f1[v], {v, -\[Infinity], x}]

In[59]:= cdf[1]
Out[59]= 0

I thought that may be the second definition (for some reason) overwrote the
first, but apparently this was not the case.

Then I tried using Which,

f1[x_] := Which[0 < x <= 3, x^2/9, x <= 0 || x > 3, 0];

Plot[f2[x], {x, -1, 4}] worked fine.

However, Plotting CDF is very slow.

What is the reason for the first error and how to accelerate (compile?)  the
second?

Thanks
Michael

PS: I was aware about the issues with the derivatives of Piecewise
functions, but expected  integration to be safe. What did i do wrong?