Re: Re: Setting global InputAutoReplacements

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105360] Re: [mg105333] Re: Setting global InputAutoReplacements
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 05:11:37 -0500 (EST)

If you are talking about "medium to large size boilerplate code blocks" I
don't understand why you don't write them as definitions in a "Routines"
section in your notebook, or even put them into a package with
documentation. To put them into Mathematica system preferences, or notebook
preferences or a style sheet, or a KeyEventTranslation file just doesn't
seem like a convenient place. To do it that way makes your work much less
accessible to others, and even for yourself it makes it more difficult to
document, modify and expand it.

It just seems to me that to program with hot keys instead of definitions,
usage messages (and command completion for quick entry) is throwing away
many of the advantages of Mathematica. In my humble opinion.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: mkr [mailto:mileskrains at gmail.com]

I am new to OSX, and purchased TextExpander in order to handle text
substitution / auto expansion for Mathematica; unfortunately there
appears to be some sort of conflict between Mathematica's keystroke
filtering and TextExpander's, such that TE does not work for Mathematica
(searching this group revealed that it broke with v6).  Under Windows,
Autohotkey has been very useful in allowing me to expand a few
keystrokes into medium to large size boilerplate code blocks.
Consequently, I am looking around for other ways to do custom
substitutions, and it looks like modifying KeyEventTranslations.tr is
another option.

A bit of searching both at the WRI site and on this group revealed
surprising little guidance on either InputAutoReplacements or
KeyEventTranslations.  I find text expansion to be quite nice in Mathematica
programming (previously using Autohotkey on Windows), allowing a few
keystrokes to automatically expand into medium to large blocks of
boilerplate code, and I would imagine that making such a facility more
obvious/usable would be widely appreciated by the Mathematica user
community.

Does anyone know of any decent guidance or resources for customizing
InputAutoReplacements and/or KeyEventTranslations?

Thanks,

Miles