Re: Re: Re: undocumented feature: TableView

@David
 > In[5]:= ClearAttributes[TableView, ReadProtected]
 > In[10]:= ?? TableView
 >
 >  it is pretty easy to drill down [..] by using the trick in my

nice trick, I learned something new today, thankyou David!

@Murray
 > Perhaps there's some way, using Dynamic, that one does not need to do
 > things as I've just shown, so that TableView could in fact be used
for
 > interactive data input, under program control.

Unfortunately, Dynamic[edited = TableView[data]]   doesn't allow any
editing, trying to modify the cells makes M7 beep:  "You tried to edit
inside a subexpression that cannot be edited, because it is a fixed
special form". I've tried Dynamic[TableView[data], Temporary] and
SetOptions[Dynamic, Editable -> True] but doesn't work.

It would be easy and useful to use interactively the edited data.

 > Let's hope that WRI brings TableView into more public view and
enhances
 > it in future releases.

definitely!

    Guido

Il giorno 10/ott/09, alle ore 13:08, Murray Eisenberg ha scritto:

> [...]
>>
>> It seems like TableView is in a somewhat advanced state of
>> development.  And one could use it to create a pretty sophisticated
>> spreadsheet application with multiple sheets and so on.  With a
>> parser
>> for Excel functions one could import Excel sheets with their
>> associated functionality...  (now, do I have time to do this?  No,
>> but...)
>>
>> Here is an example of TableView's use for multiple sheets...
>>

>> TabView[{40 ->
>>   TableView[40 IdentityMatrix[40], ContentSize -> {400, 300}],
>>  20 -> TableView[20 IdentityMatrix[20], ContentSize -> {400, 300}],
>>  10 -> TableView[10 IdentityMatrix[10], ContentSize -> {400, 300}]}]
>>

>> Oct 8, 7:49 am, Guido Tripaldi <gu... at gtripaldi.it> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> today I typed by accident "TableView" instead of "TableForm"
>>> writing a =
>>
>>> notebook, so I discovered a function apparently not documented in
>>> Mathematica 7 / Mac version. "TableView" displays a list in a
>>> spreadsheet-like format.  I tried to search the DocumentationCenter
>>> without finding any information, neither Google nor Wolfram search
>>> engine gave better results. The only documentation I found was using
>>> the "Information -  (??)" command. It show the options that
>>> TableView =
>>
>>> accepts.
>>>
>>> It appears to be very useful, as it introduces a more flexible way
>>> observing the data. There are infact some data editing features
>>> accessible through a popup menu (a "+" icon on the top left of the
>>> view) and others ctrl-clicking the view (ctrl-click on Mac; right-
>>> click on Windows).
>>>
>>> Perhaps it is a new feature being finalized that will be included in
>>> next version. Someone maybe knows something more about this
>>> function?
>>>
>>> In[1]:=  mylist = Table[ Subscript[a, i, j], {i, 5}, {j, 3}  ] =
>>
>>> (*   a little matrix   *)
>>>
>>> In[2]:=  mylist // TableView     (*   show it as a small spread=
>> sheet
>>> *)
>>>
>>> In[3]:=  ?? TableView
>>>    System`TableView
>>>    Attributes[TableView] = {Protected, ReadProtected}
>>>
>>>    Options[TableView] := {Background -> None, BaseStyle -> {},
>>>       DefaultBaseStyle -> "TableView", DefaultLabelStyle ->
>>> "TableViewLabel",
>>>       FrameStyle -> GrayLevel[0.85], ContentSize -> Automatic, =
>>
>>> ItemSize -> 10,
>>>       LabelStyle -> {}, RotateLabel -> False, Spacings -> Automa=
>> tic,
>>>       TableHeadings -> {Automatic, Automatic}}
>>>
>>> Guido
>>

> --
> Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
> Lederle Graduate Research Tower      phone 413 549-1020 (H)
> University of Massachusetts                413 545-2859 (W)
> 710 North Pleasant Street            fax   413 545-1801

---
Guido Tripaldi
imho.gtripaldi.it