How to format Superscript and Subscript for a symbol to the same vertical level??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104217] How to format Superscript and Subscript for a symbol to the same vertical level??
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 02:38:25 -0400 (EDT)

Version 7

I wanted to write something like  Superscript[Subscript[x, 1], 2] but have
the "2" and the "1" appear on the symbol x without one being pushed forward
more than the other.

This is trivial to do in latex, but gave up trying to do it in Mathematica.

I am actually trying to use Mathematica more to type set some math inside a
Text cell, and the above is one problem I find.  I actually use the keyboard
and type Ctrl9 to open a math cell inside the text cell and type

            x Ctrl ^2 spacebar Ctrl _1

and I get

    2
(x   )
       1

when I want

  2
  1

I looked the all the Palettes also that come with Mathematica 7, but do not
see such a pattern to use?

thanks,
--Nasser