Re: Using Mathematica 5.2 and 7.01 with separate settings

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104285] Re: Using Mathematica 5.2 and 7.01 with separate settings
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 01:12:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> On 1 Oct, 14:39, Roc=EDo Dulcinea Navarrete Mu=F1oz
> <dulcinea.navarr... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why do you think you need  to have both installed? Is there in version
>> 5.2 benefits that are not integrated on 7.0.1 version?
>
> Yes. The meaningful benefit of v.5 is a possibility to convert
> Graphics3D into Graphics just by wrapping the Graphics3D[] object in
> Graphics[].
> See here:

since this has come up more than once, I would like to mention that
actually I think everything is still there, it is just not documented
and of course deprecated, but for most purposes it is probably not
necessary to have a Version 5 installed in parallel. E.g. you can export
a Graphics3D as a 2D-Vector-Graphic just as Version 5 did doing the
following:

Get["Version5`Graphics`"]

Plot3D[x, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]

now select the graphics, 'do save selection as' and choose a filename
ending in e.g. eps. Of course one could try to automate the process and
have a function do all that in one go. Of course you are limited to the
graphics functionality of version 5. Oh, and don't forget to:

Get["Version6`Graphics`"]

to get back the new default behaviour.

hth,

albert