Re: Problem with recent file list in Mathematica 7

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102912] Re: Problem with recent file list in Mathematica 7
  • From: Vince <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 04:01:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Sep 1, 3:54 am, ragfield <ragfi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 31, 5:34 am, AES <sieg... at stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > In article <h7dits$ka... at smc.vnet.net>, Tom D <tdick... at att.net> wrote:
> > > I'm having a problem - Mathematica 7 occasionally loses its list of
> > > recent notebooks (under the 'File' menu). Is anyone else seeing this,
> > > and is there a fix?
>
> > And also, how to you "freeze" a notebook -- e.g., a collection of
> > personal hints and tricks -- so that it stays permanently in that menu
> > and never ages or rotates out?
>
> Format > Option Inspector > NotebooksMenu > (edit button) > (your
> notebook) > uncheck "Recycle menu slot automatically"
>
> -Rob

I'm glad for the options.

But wow. That is one buried bit of functionality. Might WRI intend to
expose this is a more intuitive place, or do they think it's already
appropriately placed? Or perhaps it's experimental, and so hidden to
not induce user dependencies? (Anyone?)

Given the obvious improvements in the Options Explorer with version 6
(or was it earlier?), it is probably a well-founded hope that such
devices will slowly migrate to the surface of the Front End.

Vince Virgilio