Re: Produce PDFs of Documentation notebooks?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103276] Re: Produce PDFs of Documentation notebooks?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:26:31 -0400 (EDT)

On 9/11/09 at 7:58 PM, siegman at stanford.edu (AES) wrote:

>In article <h8d56e$13s$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Tyler
><hayes.tyler at gmail.com> wrote:

>>One thing I thought was to convert all of the notebooks to a PDF,
>>then concatenate them all together . . . .  e.g., for all notebooks
>>in the subdirectories under:

>>/usr/share/Mathematica/Applications/Wavelets/Documentation/English

>>Open the notebook in Mathematica and save each as a PDF,
>>effectively the same name, new extension.

><Sarcasm mode on>

>You mean, Wolfram doesn't do this centrally, and make the PDFs
>downloadable, for _all_ their documentation?  (Essentially all other
>major and minor software vendors do this.)

><Sarcasm mode off>

There have been previous discussions of having the documentation
in PDF format or something other than the current notebook
format. See
<http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2009/Apr/msg00690.html>
for example.

In addition, Wolfram makes the documentation available in PDF
format. See <http://www.wolfram.com/learningcenter/tutorialcollection/>

Obviously, given the amount of documentation available,
downloading everything by clicking on the supplied links is
going to take a bit of time/effort. Quite likely, nearly as much
effort as simply converting all of the notebooks in a standard
installation into PDF format.

Note, these are separate files which could be concatenated as
desired. But the resulting file after these are concatenated
will be quite large which likely significantly limits its usefulness.

And for what it is worth, it only took me a few minutes
searching of Mathgroup archives to find the links above.
Definitely far less time/effort than it will take to download
the material.