Re: Changing style of autogenerated messages in Mathematica 7

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103285] Re: Changing style of autogenerated messages in Mathematica 7
  • From: Alexey <lehin.p at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 08:01:19 -0400 (EDT)

On 12 Sep, 15:27, Harutyun Amirjanyan <amirjan... at gmail.com> wrote:
> to change any styling in Mathematica you should modify stylesheet
> using Cell->Show Expression on any message cell you'll find it depends
> on "Message", "MSG" styles which are defined in core.nb. you can
> modify these in default.nb or better make your own stylesheet
> there is a good introduction to this on David Parks pagehttp://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/Mathematica.html

Thank you for the hint. I have found that in Mathematica 7 the default
font size for "Message" and "MSG" is 11 instead of 10 used in version
5.2. And FontFamily is set to
CurrentValue["PanelFontFamily"] which is Tahoma in my case (in v.5
Courier was used that looks much better for my eyes). I have read the
David Park's StyleSheetNotes and tried to use his methods for
modifying Core.nb but I have failed: the original StyleSheets does not
contain the drop-down button "Choose a Style" and do not allow any
changes. So, there additional information is required.

As I understand, It would be better to set CurrentValue
["PanelFontFamily"] to Courier instead of setting FontFamily to
Courier in these particular cases (I think Courier looking much
readable than Tahoma at all). Is there a way to do this?

> I've also modified these styles, and can send my stylesheet if you
> interested
I am interested. But what is the difference?