Re: Produce PDFs of Documentation notebooks?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103289] Re: Produce PDFs of Documentation notebooks?
  • From: Tyler <hayes.tyler at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 08:02:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hi again,

I just wanted to clarify the nature of my problem. Ubuntu Linux users
experienced a problem with high CPU usage that was a bug in the Java
libraries from the Mathematica 7 release.

This affected the Documentation Center window and Wolfram provided a
patch. However, and this is a BIG however, the patch *only* fixes the
"Documentation Centre" window. If, like myself, you have other Add-ons
that use the Help Browser, the problem returns and you can only run
Mathematica 7 for about 10-15 minutes before the computer gets hot.

All Mathematica 7 documentation that uses the Documentation Centre is fine
(hence I do not need the Tutorial Collection). However, the Add-ons
sometimes use the old style documentation. This is the problem with
Time Series, Neural Networks, and Wavelet Explorer. Even texts like
Mathmatica Navigator use this "old style" documentation.
Unfortunately, I cannot find anywhere a PDF of the Wavelet Explorer
documentation.

Effectively, every one of DrMajorBob's suggestions does not apply to
me. I realize the worth of Notebooks over PDFs. But, I cannot click
and open every notebook directly and hope to find the section I'm
looking for, nor can I use Spotlight or use Google Desktop...the curse
of a Linux user. And if I did switch to a Mac, which I'm
contemplating, I'm sure I'd have to re-purchase Mathematica 7 and the
application packages all over again. I just don't have the cash to
justify that.

End of the day, there are a few add-on application packages that I
find very useful and would like to find a workaround for their
documentation. I thought of PDFs.

Believe me, Wolfram had made their documentation truly in the spirit
Mathematica 7, or even better, if a patch for the problem was provided, I would
rather use the Documentation Centre any day over a PDF.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and help.

Cheers,

t.