Re: Mathematica Programming

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108924] Re: Mathematica Programming
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 03:21:16 -0400 (EDT)

Very interesting question.

I have never been able to understand the promotional material for
webMathematica. Can one run webMathematica from a standard user web site
provided by an ISP? Or does one have to have one's own server setup, and
what would that consist of? Where would the Mathematica engine that drives
webMathematica actually reside? (It would be nice to have an answer that I
could operationally understand and not in some jargon.) Is webMathematica
something accessible for ordinary Mathematica users and developers, or is it
ultimately a high priced institutional type application? Is it available to
Premier subscribers?

If I recollect correctly, there is a possibility that in the near future WRI
will provide a way so that anyone can read a Mathematica notebook on line in
a web browser. Would this include the use of active controls and be able to
utilize private packages?  Would this be an alternative to webMathematica?

Lots of questions, but being able to communicate efficiently with people who
don't presently have Mathematica is still the missing link.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Nicholas Chung [mailto:nchung66 at u.washington.edu]

I have Mathematica 7 but I was wondering how it compares to
WebMathematica and WorkBench? Can I create full applications and
interactive websites with Mathematica? How much control do I have over
the user interface design?