List Manipulation: Conditionally changing y value when x value meets some criteria

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108979] List Manipulation: Conditionally changing y value when x value meets some criteria
  • From: "Charles Koehler" <cjkphd at wi.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 03:31:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

If possible I could use a little help on this.

I have a list of  x and y data and based on the value of x I would like to
manipulate the value y.

I joined the data using:

pts=MapThread[{##1}&,{x,y}]

I assumed that by testing the x value using #[[1]], I could change the value
of y using #[[2]] as shown below.  If no manipulation was required based on
the value of x, I would keep that point unchanged, but I'm definitely
missing something.

filtered=If[a<#[[1]]&<b,#[[2]]&=0],{#[[1]],#[[2]]}&,pts]

a and b are the range of x values

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck Koehler