Re: A new graphic user interface

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111847] Re: A new graphic user interface
  • From: telefunkenvf14 <rgorka at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 07:37:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 12, 4:26 am, Helen Read <h... at together.net> wrote:
> On 8/11/2010 4:45 AM, telefunkenvf14 wrote:
>

> > On Aug 9, 4:16 am, Murray Eisenberg<mur... at math.umass.edu>  wrote:
> >> Comments interspersed below.

> >> I held that position, too. But Helen Read's reports in this group
> >> provide empirical evidence that this is an unfounded concern: with the
> >> Classroom Assistant palette, what begins as point-and-click soon morph=
> >> into just typing input, apparently without much or any intervention by
> >> the instructor to suggest this change.
>
> > Not convinced. I sense this observation is (in part) shaped by the
> > topic of the class.
>
> It absolutely depends on what you are teaching. In calculus, I start
> them off with the palettes, and let the students wean themselves from
> the palettes at their own pace. It happens naturally, because everyone
> eventually picks up the syntax as they go, and they all get sick of
> point-and-click.
>
> > If you're teaching a pure math class? Then sure,  I can see how
> > starting with palettes would do no serious harm---but it all depends
> > on the skill-set you want students achieve by the end of the semester,
> > and the types of applications you show/build in class. (Simple problem
> > solving
>
> Simple problem solving is a good place to start.
>
> > vs. building more complicated models and interfaces, grabbing
> > data from the net, automating emails or SMS messages, etc.)

Helen:

1. Do you have any of your encryption notebooks/lessons on the web?

2. You may have already read this recent blog post ("Doing Spy Stuff
with Mathematica," by Jon McLoone); if not, you'll probably want to
take a look. Jon always seems to have fun posts. :)

http://blog.wolfram.com/2010/07/08/doing-spy-stuff-with-mathematica/
http://blog.wolfram.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/DoingSpyStuffWithMathema=
tica.nb

3. Do you collect any data on your students at the start of the
semester? (Prior programming experience; interest in programming;
aversion to math, etc.?) What about you, Murry?

-RG