Re: "in-program" backup facility

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg111877] Re: "in-program" backup facility
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 05:56:10 -0400 (EDT)

The issue is _not_ "regular backups" or even "archiving". The issue is
to be able to save snapshots of a notebook -- automatically and/or on
command--from within the program and as you work.  That way, if
Mathematica happens to crash (much rarer these days), you lose only
perhaps a few minutes' work, not all the work since you last executed an
external backup program. Ditto if you accidentally delete some cells or
make other changes that you need to reverse; you can get back to a
version of the notebook from a few minutes ago or an hour ago -- again
without having to go outside the program to a separate backup program.

(A good undo facility helps ameliorate some of the difficulty in the
latter situation.)

This is something common, e.g., to text editors and word processors.

Yes, there are external backup solutions that do "continuous backups".
But that can slow down system performance and be overkill; moreover, you
then have to open the backup program to find the version of the file you
want to retrieve. (You may have to do that because the continuous backup
doesn't save the whole file each time, but only deltas.)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305