Help Browser CPU Usage

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114336] Help Browser CPU Usage
  • From: Ron Burns <rrburns at cox.net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 02:13:03 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,

I am using Mathematica 7.0 on a dual processor Linux system and am
seeing that if I bring up the Function Navigator - Add Ons & Packages -
Add Ons and then select the Help for AddOn packages from version 5.2 (a
bunch of nb under the Documentation/English directory) the cpu usage
increases to unacceptable values - Mathematica usage from about 10% to
20% and xorg usage from a few % to over 80%.  Currently I just open and
then close the help browser which is inconvenient.  I would like to keep
it open as I work.

Is this "normal" or is it something I can fix?  Is Mathematica doing
something in the background as I use these for the first time and should
I just be patient and it will finally finish up?  Do I need to do
something to "rebuild" the legacy help for Version 7.0?

Thanks for any help.
	Ron Burns
--
R. R. Burns