Re: Mathematica and Symbolic Manipulation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114534] Re: Mathematica and Symbolic Manipulation
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 06:44:59 -0500 (EST)

On 12/5/2010 6:49 PM, olfa wrote:
> On 29 nov, 12:10, Andrea<btlgs2... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Nov 28, 12:56 pm, olfa<olfa.mra... at yahoo.fr>  wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>
>>> I'm facing a big problem with Mathematica because I need to use it
>>> SYMBOLICALLY for many functions like:
>>> 1)Nest[f,x,i] (without knowing the value of i)
>>> 2)Table[exp,{index,i,n}] (without knowing the values of i and n)
>>> 3)Rest[m] such that m is a symbolic list (without knowing its concrete
>>> elements)
>>
>>> How to deal with that?
>>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> I olfa,
>> what do you mean for simbolically use of these functions?
>> When you write them Mathematica just keep them unevaluated, just
>> writing some message that you can suppress ( look at tutorial/Messages
>> section of reference for info).
>> This is not the result you want?
>> Andrea
>
> Hi andrea
> Here is an example of what I need to do:
>
> Reduce[Nest[f,v,j]==Nest[f,vP,jP]&&  j>=jP,{vP}]
>
> should return vP=Nest[f,v,j-jP]
>
> Thanks

Calculation with objects of "symbolic" extent is different from the
usual setup in Mathematica or other computer algebra systems. Another
kind of calculus must be used.  For example I have written programs that
deal with matrices of size nXn  where n is a symbol; one can demonstrate
that the inverse of the nxn identity matrix
is itself.  One can also talk about block matrices etc.

www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~fateman/papers/symmat2.pdf

RJF