Shift-Ctrl-N and Manipulate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg114833] Shift-Ctrl-N and Manipulate
  • From: ××× ××××× <baraksh at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 05:09:56 -0500 (EST)

Hi everyone,

In previous versions of Mathematica, I could use the shortcut Shift-Ctrl-N or the menu option Cell -> Convert To -> StandardForm to clean up and format my code, for example, turn x^2 into a real superscript or x/y into a real fraction.

However, after upgrading to Mathematica 8, this option also automatically converts functions such as Manipulate or Slider into the actual output of the function. The entire code I wrote for the Manipulate applet becomes the actual applet, and so it's not possible to change the code any more. Ctrl-Z, of course, doesn't work, and the only way to get my code back is Shift-Ctrl-I or Cell -> Convert To -> InputForm, which makes it even uglier...

This means that I cannot use Shift-Ctrl-N to clean up and format my code anymore if it contains a Manipulate or any similar function. Usually the converted Manipulate code will not even work after using this option, for example if it depends on variables that have not yet been defined.

In conclusion, how can I clean up or format my code without converting the Manipulates? Is there another shortcut or option I can use? Or maybe there's a way to tell Mathematica not to convert the Manipulates?

Thank you,
Barak