typesetting problems or bugs? need a professional stylesheet

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115008] typesetting problems or bugs? need a professional stylesheet
  • From: sean k <seaninsocal at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 06:50:00 -0500 (EST)

Hello Group.

I'm having multiple problems while trying to typeset a few notes and
other documents. Main thing has seem to be the Mathematica's tendency
to change italics to non-italics automatically under certain
circumstances.

I am using "textbook stylesheet."  If I use the default stylesheet,
the line spacing is screwed up. So far it seems like textbook
stylesheet gives me what I need.

I'm also using ctrl9 and ctrl 0 to open and close any formula portion
of the text.  That seems to make the formulas look nice and
mathematical. ie. italicized.

But I'm encountering a few problems that I just can't get around. So
first use the textbook stylesheet under menu>format>stylesheet>book>
textbook.  Then these formulas are entered in a text cell by first
typing ctrl9 to open the invisible formula box. Then when done
inputting, ctrl0 will end close the box.

I'm running windows vista home edition 64 bit and Mathematica v8. I
also have v7 installled. The problem seems to the same in both
versions.

1. Typing \[CapitalDelta]y \[TildeTilde] f'(x)\[CapitalDelta] x .

If I remove that space between \[CapitalDelta] x to \[CapitalDelta]x,
it will change the italics to non-italics.

2. d/(d x) vs d/dx

First ctrl9 then crtl/  to make the fraction. And if I put in d/d x
into the fraction box, it will retain the italics.  but if I put in  d/
dx, the italics go away.

So the space makes the italics go away in both cases.

3. Lastly, I would really like to get a hands on a stylesheet that
most mathematicians would use to, say, write a professional manuscript
or a textbook or maybe even a thesis.  Can anyone help me here?

Thanks a lot in advance for any info.

Sean