Re: Circular neighborhood for ImageApply

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg115064] Re: Circular neighborhood for ImageApply
  • From: Shadi Ashnai <shadi at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 04:09:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi Adrian,

In ImageFilter you cannot specify a non-rectangular neighborhood yet. The following code would only count the zero pixels inside the disk and divide by the size of the disk:

disksize = Total[DiskMatrix[r], 2];
ImageFilter[Count[DiskMatrix[r] - #, 1., 2]/disksize &, ColorConvert[i, "Grayscale"], r]

Another suggestion would be to remove disks smaller than your radius by doing:
Closing[i, DiskMatrix[6]]

If you got Mathematica 8, you can simply compute the center of each foreground object (remaining disks) by either of the following:

1) MaxDetect[ DistanceTransform[ image ] ] (* computes the ultimate erosion and returns an image consisting of the centers *)

2) ComponentMeasurements[ image, "Centroid" ] (* returns the coordinate of the centers *)

Best,

Shadi Ashnai
Wolfram Research Inc.