Re: Wrong ODE solution in Mathematica 7?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg106202] Re: Wrong ODE solution in Mathematica 7?
- From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kjm at KevinMcCann.com>
- Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 01:43:39 -0500 (EST)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
If you take the second derivative of your answer and compare it with the rhs you will see that it is true, i.e. Y''[x]== -Cos[x]/(1 + Sin[x])^2//FullSimplify Zsolt wrote: > Hi! > I tried solve the ODE: > DSolve[D[y[x], x, x] == -Cos[x]/(1 + Sin[x])^2, y[x], x] > > The solution what M7 (and Wolfram Alpha) gives is: > y[x] -> C + x C + (2 Sin[x/2])/(Cos[x/2] + Sin[x/2]) > > I think, it's wrong! (Does anybody know how to check?) Another system gives > for the same diff.eq: > y(x) = -2/(tan((1/2)*x)+1)+_C1*x+_C2 > (similar, but not the same->ctan vs tan...) > I found the problem in one of my math books, and the solution there > concours with the other system. > How can I trust Mathematica, if it makes mistakes in such simple > things?? :( > Thank you for your answer! :) >