Re: Code optimization

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109773] Re: Code optimization
  • From: "M.Roellig" <markus.roellig at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 08:51:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

Instead of writing

 foo =(expression 1)/(obscenely complex expression )+ (expression 2)/
(obscenely complex expression )

it pays out to do something like :

denominator = obscenely complex expression ;

foo=(expression 1)/denominator + (expression 2)/denominator

Mathematica will calculate the complex expression once and store the
result in denominator
and only use that for later occurances of denominator.

If you use

denominator := obscenely complex expression ;

instead, it will recalculate the complex stuff each time denominator
is encountered.

Markus