Code optimization

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109764] Code optimization
  • From: "S. B. Gray" <stevebg at ROADRUNNER.COM>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 05:57:02 -0400 (EDT)

Suppose I have an expression like

foo =(expression 1)/denominator + (expression 2)/denominator

where "denominator" is itself a complex expression. Is it worthwhile for
me to compute "denominator" once and use it explicitly in foo, or will
Mathematica cleverly deduce that it needs to be computed only once?

My guess is that Mathematica is an interpreter so it will not optimize the code.

Steve Gray