Re: enter specific symbols for ListPlot usage

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg109910] Re: enter specific symbols for ListPlot usage
  • From: "M.Roellig" <markus.roellig at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 00:42:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

since you gove no example input it is a little difficult to guess
what you got. However, may you missed the follwing line from
the PlotMarkers Help page:

"With PlotMarkers->{Subscript[g, 1],\[Ellipsis],Subscript[g, n]} the
 Subscript[g, i] are used cyclically for successive dataset lists. "

hence, giving PlotMarkers -> {"a","b","c","d"} asks Mathematica
to plot the first list of data points with the marker "a", any second
list
with "b" and so on. Probably you provided one list of
data points but wanted to mark each point differently. I also don't
understand why Mathematica is not automatically applying the different
markers to separate points of a list IF only a single list of data
points is
the input to ListPlot - seems to be the most practical approach to me.

As a workaround one has to split the single list of N points into N
lists of one
point:

data = {{1, 4}, {2, 2}, {3, 6}, {4, 6}}
ListPlot[Partition[data, 1], PlotMarkers -> {"a", "b", "c", "d"},
 PlotRange -> {{0, 5}, {0, 7}}]

You can wrap each new marker in Style[] to change size, color, font,
etc.

Markus