Re: Mathematica "Fresh Start" on a new computer?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112867] Re: Mathematica "Fresh Start" on a new computer?
  • From: Pierre Albarede <pa.news at free.fr>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 06:05:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> On Oct 1, 5:40 am, AES <sieg... at stanford.edu> wrote:
> > Moving to a newly purchased MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard OS, from an
> > much older MacBook with Leopard OS and probably a decade's worth of
> > remnants of older systems, unused apps, earlier software upgrades,
> > partially removed software, and other cruft.

I would advise to install Mathematica on the new machine, without
touching the old machine.  It can always be useful, for comparison or
rescue, to have a working old version.

The migration assistant also works over a local network.  However, as
the old machine is messy, it may be worth starting from zero with the
new machine and taking notes of what you are doing.  You will gain a
lot of confidence on your machine.