EventHandler vs ControllerState

This is my first post to the listserve.  I'm an fourth-year undergrad
physics major who's done a bit of research using Mathematica. Now I'm trying
out my own pet projects and need a bit of help.

I'm trying to use my keyboard as a controller.  I'm wondering what the
difference is between using EventHandler and ControllerState.  That is, what
are the pros and cons to using EventHandler as opposed to ControllerState to
detect a keystroke?

Nicholas Goble