How do I test for existence of a list element?

I have an application where I am bouncing around in a list, and may
accidentally ask for an element beyond the end of the list, which causes
Mathematica to complain and balk, preventing completion.

Is there any way to test for the existence of a list element without
provoking complaint or balking should the list item fail to exist?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn