Re: CDF browser plugin and Wolfram library archive

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118095] Re: CDF browser plugin and Wolfram library archive
  • From: Syd Geraghty <sydgeraghty at me.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 05:57:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi George,

Although not quite as easy as you suggest:

> Fortunately, the plug-in is easy to turn off in Safari.
>
> george

I managed to find out how to do it on my Mac system (detailed below) with a little exploring.

For others who have been following this thread the trick is:

Locate the file "Mathematica.plugin" in the path  " /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Mathematica.plugin" and remove it from the Internet Plug-Ins Directory.

This also has the considerable merit that it works for all the browsers on my system (Safari, FireFox, Chrome).

I now do not have to deal with the bizarre behavior of the CDF Player/Plug-in combo (I hope there are no strange consequences of removal of the Mathematica.plugin, I have seen none so far).

One other hope is that WRI might make downloading Demonstrations source code for the Mathematica user a simpler process. The downloaded source notebook cannot be Saved or Saved As on my system. I have to copy from the downloaded source file and paste to a New Notebook several sets of expressions individually to get an Editable/Savable version which includes the citation and reference material for future attribution purposes. I thought one of the important benefits WRI advertises for the Demonstrations Project was pedagogic. As such the current process for getting source code for a demonstration to experiment with and use as a learning tool is far from easy.

If anyone has a more streamlined way of accomplishing this I would be very glad to try it.

Cheers .... Syd

Syd Geraghty B.Sc, M.Sc.

sydgeraghty at mac.com

Mathematica 8.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (February 23, 2011)
ReleaseID:    8.0.1.0 (2063982, 2063639)
MacOS X V 10.6.7 Snow Leopard
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB RAM