Re: "Need tutor" scam on newsgroup?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123683] Re: "Need tutor" scam on newsgroup?
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 04:56:02 -0500 (EST)

On 14/12/2011 11:08, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
> Well, it seems to me that you have misjudged the probabilities involved.
> Think about it: would it make sense for a scammer to learn enough
> Mathematica (which is known to have a "high learning curve") to
> formulate this sort of question (note that the poster used correct
> Mathematica syntax) just on an odd chance that he finds a "pigeon" among
> a relatively small group of subscribers? Not to mention the fact that
> the post makes enough mathematical sense to be incomprehensible to the
> average Internet user (if you don't agree, try asking random people what
> a "complex function" is).  Note also that the "tutoring" requested does
> not involve the use of Mathematica nor even mathematics.

The question was oddly worded, and a good "scam strategy", might be to
target newsgroups like this, and just copy text from old conversations -
thus appearing to know more about the subject than you really do! I
guess any tutoring scam has got to be done under human control - so I
would not rule out the idea of a connection.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk