Re: phase portraits

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg116197] Re: phase portraits
  • From: Virgil Stokes <vs at it.uu.se>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 01:42:51 -0500 (EST)

On 03-Feb-2011 11:32, J and B wrote:
> I am trying to find examples where Mathematica is used to study dynamic
> equations through the use of phase portraits, including their respective
> points: equilibrium, stability, attractors, bifurcations and so on.
>
> Does any one have any work on this subject that he/she would mind sharing?
> I had many courses in this field in graduate school in the early 70's, and
> now I am trying to get a handle on them again.  Back then I was using
> Fortran.   Things have changed a lot.
>
> Thanks

Yes, things have changed a lot since the FORTRAN days :-) .
I can suggest one Mathematica package that I have used when teaching and
undergraduate course in OR --- DynPac.
It was developed by Professor Al Clark at Rochester University ---
http://www.me.rochester.edu/~clark/

This is a very nice package and believe that it might fit your needs.

--V