Re: How to change the directory for the docs?

On 03/01/2011 08:57, kj wrote:
> In<ifpk99$bso$1 at smc.vnet.net>  David Bailey<dave at removedbailey.co.uk>  writes:
>
>> It might help to explain why you want to do this. There is probably an
>> easier way to achieve whatever it is you want to do.
>
> Well, if you want to know, I've copied all the Mathematica
> documentation notebooks to a personal directory, so that I can
> modify them at will.  The ultimate goal is to supplement these
> notebooks with important information that they lack, and to fix
> factual errors in them.  I want all the built-in Mathematica help
> facilities to point to these annotated notebooks rather than to
> the "official" ones.
>
> ~kj

My approach would be to copy the whole documentation directory to a
secure backup, then open one of the files explicitly - I.E. not using
the help system - edit it, and save it using the "save as" menu item
(because these notebooks have Saveable->False) and then copy the result
over the original.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk