Re: A GUI Builder for Mathematica, or best existing solution..

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg119993] Re: A GUI Builder for Mathematica, or best existing solution..
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 06:45:18 -0400 (EDT)

On 03/07/2011 09:15, W M wrote:
> I would like to construct reasonably complex GUIs using Mathematica
> functionality and would like to do so using a visual WYSIWYG editor
> for some portions (a GUI for GUIs). I have in mind something like the
> visual editor present in NetBeans or for C# in Visual Studio. I have
> no problem writing the more intricate parts of the code myself, but
> would like to avoid writing lower-level details such as 'text label
> goes here, with width X and length Y', etc.
>
> I suppose I could write GUI code in NetBeans and paste this into
> Mathematica, but I am hoping that there is a more elegant solution
> available.
>
> Thank you very much.

If you are building a really complex GUI, it may be best to create it in
Java and link to that from Mathematica using J/Link. One advantage of
this approach, is that you do end up with an industry standard GUI,
which can be important if it is to be used by non-Mathematica users.

My Super Widget Package makes it easy to create a Java GUI from
Mathematica (available free from my website), using (hopefully
reasonably elegant) Mathematica code, but there is no building tool -
ultimately, I suppose, because I am not very keen on using a GUI to program!

BTW, you certainly could not (usefully) paste NetBeans code into
Mathematica!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk