Grouping terms under the radical

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120075] Grouping terms under the radical
  • From: paulvonhippel at yahoo <paulvonhippel at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 07:34:10 -0400 (EDT)

This must be a classic question. When I input
 Sqrt[(2 n)]
Mathematica displays the output as Sqrt[2] Sqrt[n] -- i.e., both 2 and
n are under their own radical. The display of output doesn't change if
I impose the assumption that n > 0.

This is fine from a mathematical point of view, but it looks
unconventional when pasted into a paper. It seems to me most authors
would keep the 2 and the n under a common radical -- how can I get
Mathematica to do the same?

Thanks!