Re: Stacked fractions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120119] Re: Stacked fractions
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 05:37:24 -0400 (EDT)

One way is

((A/B)-C)/D//Apart

(A-B C)/(B D)

Another is

((A/B)-C)/D//Simplify

(A-B C)/(B D)

Have fun. Alexei

Another question, along the same lines. Some of the solutions

Mathematica gives me include compound fractions of the form ((A/B)-C)/

D. Again it seems to me most authors would rewrite this as a simpler

fraction -- can I get Mathematica to do the same?

Where these questions are coming from: Mathematica is now compatible

with Word's equation editor, so it's become more desirable for

Mathematica's output to look close to what's conventional in a paper.

Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.

IEE S.A.

ZAE Weiergewan,

11, rue Edmond Reuter,

L-5326 Contern, LUXEMBOURG

Office phone=A0:=A0 +352-2454-2566

Office fax:=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 +352-2454-3566

mobile phone:=A0 +49 151 52 40 66 44

e-mail: alexei.boulbitch at iee.lu