Re: Stacked fractions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120078] Re: Stacked fractions
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 04:49:46 -0400 (EDT)

Use Simplify or FullSimplify

((a/b) - c)/d // Simplify

(a - b c)/(b d)

Bob Hanlon

---- paulvonhippel at yahoo <paulvonhippel at yahoo.com> wrote:

=============
Another question, along the same lines. Some of the solutions
Mathematica gives me include compound fractions of the form ((A/B)-C)/
D. Again it seems to me most authors would rewrite this as a simpler
fraction -- can I get Mathematica to do the same?

Where these questions are coming from: Mathematica is now compatible
with Word's equation editor, so it's become more desirable for
Mathematica's output to look close to what's conventional in a paper.