Re: ExampleData[{"Geometry3D", "Torus"}]

I'm not familiar with Torus[] but another option might be to use
RevolutionPlot3D, i.e.

torus[r1_, r2_] :=
 RevolutionPlot3D[{r1 + r2 Cos[t], 0, r2 Sin[t]}, {t, 0, 2 Pi},
  Mesh -> False, PlotPoints -> 60, Boxed -> False, Axes -> False]

torus[1, 0.5]

Heike

On 22 Jul 2011, at 02:06, Joseph O'Rourke wrote:

> Thanks, Oliver.  I know how to make a torus via ParametricPlot3D[],
and by using the deprecated Torus[] function. I was wondering if
ExampleData[] could be adjusted so that one would have the same control
as with the old Torus[] function.  The reason I wanted this is that the
torus produced by ExampleData[] looks much nicer than that produced by
Torus[].  Or, at least, I cannot get the latter to look as smooth when
rendered as the former.  But maybe I should just use ParametricPlot3D[]
with Mehs->None as you suggest.  Thanks again for your attention.