Re: TransformedDistribution -- odd problem
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg120484] Re: TransformedDistribution -- odd problem
- From: paulvonhippel at yahoo <paulvonhippel at yahoo.com>
- Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:29:28 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I also have a more complicated example where Mathematica will give the mean of A and the mean of B, but when I ask for the mean of A+B Mathematica just echoes the input. (Here A and B are complicated functions of several random variables.) This strikes me as really odd, since of course Mean(A+B)=Mean(A)+Mean(B). What could be going on here? Under what circumstances does Mathematica echo the input when asked to provide a Mean? Is there a setting I need to change? I suspect this is a software issue rather than a mathematical issue.